Sunday, January 25, 2015

Laugh it Up, Chuckles!



1/12/15 
AND WE STAY TOGETHER!!!!
Nah it’s a joke. My comp, Elder Monteza, received the call that he was leaving and that I was going to stay for another transfer.

They told me that I was going to be getting a newer Elder that is from Utah whose mom is from Peru.  I just can’t get enough of those Peruanos.  He is named Elder Senzig.  He is a bulkier guy. My height. Sings opera. And it seems like we are gonna get along just perfectly.

We got a new fridge this week:)

We also knew that it was going to be our last week together so we cleaned out all of the trash together and the next morning we were going to finish it off.  That night out of nowhere a huge thunderstorm came and blew all of the trash everywhere.  All those times toilet papering karma finally came around and bit me right in the bum.

I told my comp to go into the store and buy a little dulce de leche.  The cheapest one.  So he went in and pointed to one.  And I signed to him I don’t know... and then the next and I replied the same.  He did that with all of them and I gave him the same sign. I finally got tired and told him to come and change me to guard the backpacks.  I was trying to signal to him to come over but he didn’t understand.  Inbetween us 2 there was the line for the checkout.  And in that line there was a little grandma waiting with all of her stuff.  I started to signal to my companion and then I saw her start signaling back.  Pointing to herself and then looking around and then pointing to herself again.

I didn’t want to yell in the grocery store so I tried signaling to her that I wasn’t talking to her and then my companion thought that I was signaling to him saying no to what he was doing and then he started signaling to me asking what he should do and I tried answering him by waving my arms and the grandma thought that I was talking to her again....
.... Finally after waving my arms in the air and several attempts to fix things I just realized that it is never going to work and I just will have to enter.... much more complicated than buying a little jar of jam should be.

We have an investigator who some of the women in the family are getting sick and having some pain in the back.  My comp, being very superstitious, told me that it was an epidemic and that a huge disease was going to spread from here.  I knew that it wasn’t the truth but he started freaking me out, saying "Don’t drink the water. You will get the virus..." And then she offered us water and I looked in and there were some little floaties.
I skeptically put the glass up to my lips and pretended to drink with pure fear running through my veins thinking that I’m gonna be the first case of the new disease that infects the whole world.  But then I realized who was telling me a story and drank it down.

We also had a fly swarm enter into the house and a bunch of spiders with them.  Before the mission I completely hated spiders with every living fiber of my body.  But when I saw them catching the little flies and then wrapping them up and eating them I thought "man... spiders are actually pretty cool.”

So after receiving changes my comp started packing up.  He had a lot of stuff so he was packing into the wee hours of the morning.  As crazy as it may seem I couldn’t sleep there was so much ruckus.  So I was up at 1 in the morning cleaning the pension in my undies.  And then out of nowhere somebody starting banging on the doors.  It freaked me out and I almost touched the ceiling I jumped so high. 
I thought "There are robbers and they are going to rob us."
Then "No it’s somebody who is in trouble and needs help."
To "Maybe they are trying to escape from some thugs"
So I was about to open up the door like a victim escaping my persecutors and then I realized "Hey wait... I’m in my undies... I can’t go out like that...  But wait... by the time I get changed it could be too late..."
So I threw open the door... and... it was a family of members who live behind us and saw that we were still up and wanted to play a very very funny joke. While they were laughing at me in my skinnies, I thought to myself "Real funny guys. Laugh it up, Chuckles, and wait for the sweet taste of vengeance."

Later at 4 a.m., I went downstairs to take a bathroom break, without my glasses, after my companion was finally asleep.  As I was going downstairs, I suddenly saw a little boy about Asher’s height, dressed all in white, looking at the wall, just standing there, not moving, not making a noise... just standing there. I stopped as ice rushed through my veins.  I felt my stomach drop to my feet.  I didn’t want to move or make a noise for fear of him looking at me. So I stood there too, in silence, not moving or breathing—just standing still.  After about a minute I moved closer to get a clearer view of him and I squinted my eyes.  And realized that it was just a fan.

This week we had church and after a week of working hard and being in the sun the whole week we had a killer attendance of 10 people.  I was so dang disappointed we had worked so hard the whole week and then in the end, everybody that we invited didn’t come.  I felt like I had worked so hard and it all just went down the drain.  So I went to go bless the sacrament and while I was reading the words, a scripture in Mosiah 5:13 came to my mind:
For how knoweth a man the master whom he has not served, and who is a stranger unto him, and is far from the thoughts and intents of his heart?

And then it all made sense in my mind.  Sometimes we have to suffer a little bit so that we can understand a part of what Christ felt.  In that moment I asked for help from Him so that I could keep on going forward.  I felt a happiness and peace that renewed my energy and made me want to go out and find everybody that is ready to hear what we are sharing.

I know that God listens to us.  He helps us when we need it.  And sometimes we just have to pass a rocky path to learn to overcome it.

I love you all and I am praying for you every day.  Have a great week and I will talk to you all soon. 
Love,

Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment