Thursday, January 1, 2015

The Laughing Stock


12/2/14 
Well... this week we have officially become the laughing stock of the town.

A couple of weeks ago some drunk guys made a scene with us with half of Monte watching us.  This week we went to one of the only grocery stores here in Monte and when we went to go pay we didn’t have money.... and we had to go scrounge for it while the other half of Monte was watching.

So now we are either "those kids without money" or the "drunk guys friends", take your pick.

We also had cambios this week.  Did we not get to change? No. Did I confuse some of you with that question? I hope so.

Last week we accidentally stayed for a bit longer writing than we should have and so I was thinking a little bit about what it means to serve God with all of you heart, might, mind and soul.  That its not important what you are doing but that you will put him over everything to make sure that you can help other people.  If you have to sacrifice a little bit, you gotta sacrifice to get the job done.  I don’t know why but I felt that I should add that little side commentary.

Right after I was thinking my companion wasn’t looking or paying attention and the car in front of him stopped.  It was kind of like in the Superman movie where you see the bullet in slow motion hits superman in the eye and then the bullet crunches like an accordion.  My companero was the bullet and the car was superman.

We were teaching a woman this week named Ayelen.  We almost finished teaching her a lesson that took like 40 minutes when her kids walked in.  So we tried teaching them too and it took like another 40 minutes and right as we were about to end it again her husband walked in. So we started it up again and taught for another 40 minutes the exact same thing. We were getting close to finishing and it was like watching the end of the race in little rascals where they are so neck and neck that you are biting your fingernails, Ya I was watching the door with that much anticipation.  Praying that nobody else would enter the door and that my companion would just say amen and then start saying the prayer. And luckily that is just what he did.  

Great news.  We got some sun this week.  Bad news. It was super hot and dusty. Good news we were working hard this week. Bad news nobody was letting us in. Good news I got so tan. 

A little punk kid tried riding on my bike so I told him that the only way that he can ride it is if he uses a helmet.  They don’t ever use helmets here so he agreed and then when he was like 20 feet and in a mocking face looked at me and took off the helmet...
...or at least tried to.  It was clipped on the bottom and he couldn’t find out how to take it off so he had to keep it on.  Sucker.

I saw a hat that said YoungMoneyCashMoneyBillionaires.  I don’t know why I thought that it was so funny.

We went on my companions first divisions where he went to go teach some investigadors when I went to go teach a lesson too. They grow up so fast...
But anyways I got to the house and the 8 year old kid with my same birthday was playing with legos and bionnicles.  I felt like I was right at home and played hard for a good 20 minutes.  Man I really miss my legos sometimes.

I killed a spider the size of a quarter yesterday.

Anyways, the work here is kinda slow but there is a reason to everything, right?  I was reading 1 Corinthians 9:10 today and I felt like it was talking to us.  God wants us all to learn something.  If we keep going with hope and faith that things will get better we will be partakers of this hope.  Good things will come to pass.

I love you all and I hope that things are going well.
Love,
Elder Merkley


No comments:

Post a Comment