Thursday, October 24, 2013

Mother's Day



10/21/13 
Hey there everyone. 
Last Monday we didn’t really do too much my comp had hurt his leg a couple weeks back so when the other Elders went to go do stuff we just sat in the pension.  So he studied the alphabet while I wrote in my journal and some letters and whatnot.  Later we were getting a bit hungry so he called around and we mooched lunch off of some members.  I was freakin starving when we got there so I was stoked to see that they had way good meat and some mashed potatoes for us.  After that we went to the places with computers but all of them were closed cause it was a holiday so we strolled around looking for a place to write some letters and ended up in the church writing emails.  After that we went to an investigator’s house for a night at home where we played a game and related a lesson to it.  It was real great.
On Tuesday we didn’t really do too much, a lot of our lessons dropped us and were busy and whatnot so we were looking for something good to do.  We did have a lesson that day with a couple that reminds me a bunch of Dan and Katy.  They love the outdoors and have a couple of dogs and a bunch of birds and they built their own house.  While I was there Maxi (the Guy) caught, with his bare hands, a snake, a frog, and 2, count em, 2 flies with his bare hands!  Haha I didn’t think that it was possible!  Haha it was so crazy.  I felt like I was watching a magic show the whole time.  I had my jaw dropped the whole time, gaping in amazement as he caught all of this stuff and then let me touch it.  After that we went and taught a lesson to a guy who had drug problems and a bit of schizophrenia.  It is super interesting but he is trying to do his best to overcome his problems.  After that we went to a super good investigator who is living with a family.  This family had one of their kids pass away last week from an accident in the house so everybody is pretty shaken up.  We taught them a little bit and tried to give them a bit of comfort.  After that they asked us if we could give them a blessing of health because they were worried for the kids who were there during the accident.  My companion blessed the house and 2 people and then I got to bless 2 of the kids.  I was a little shaky but I think I did half decent and I hope it helped them.
The next day we did our usual Wednesday schedule.  Study, fruit and veggie market, and then to a danky lunch with the Guarachis.  They are super super generous and were giving us all of these Peruvian candies and then we had a good lunch with them.  In our pension we have a map.  And on this map there is an area that looks like a bomb of red went off.  The red is menos activos (less actives.)  So our bishop asked us to go there for the day and see who we can try and bring back to church.  We went and clapped at a bunch of houses but not too many were there.  We were biking down a street and a random guy called out to us Elders ‘come in come in.’ I was all for it and started to head in but my companion scolded me and told me that we have no clue who this guy is or what he wants or if he is crazy.... which he was a tiny bit.  We chatted with him for a bit and he had us for juice and cookies and then we were on our merry way.  This week was mother’s day so the mothers were having an activity at the church.  And where there is an activity with all mothers, there is an activity with food.  Haha jk we went to go talk to the friends and family of the mothers who weren’t members... and for the food.  But that was a super successful night.  We had a bunch of investigators show up and were making friends with the members and all that good stuff.  
The next day was great.  We went and taught that family that had the accident in their house and the dad had been reading about the after life and he told us that he was happy to know where his son was.  We taught a super danky lesson and then we went and taught the friend.  The mom of that family was sick too so we gave another blessing to her for health.  Then after that we went to our investigators house, the Guaratchis because it was the dads (Victor) birthday.  We went and helped them set up the things for dinner and had chicken and cow heart shiskabobs again.  So dang good.  They were slow roasted over coals with potatoes.  I’m gonna learn how to make it for when I get home.  But he ate and relaxed and bought him a hat for his birthday.  I’m a fan of the Jazz, and being a fan of the Jazz, I hate the Lakers.  When we were buying the hat my companion bought a Lakers hat and we couldn’t return it so I had to give one of my investigators a hat with a team that I despise on it.  But as long as he doesn’t know the significance of it I guess it’s alright. 
On Friday we planned and had a lesson with Fernanda, Bruno, and Santiago (the family that reminds me of John and I) and then after that I’m not really to sure what we did, sorry everyone.  I’m pretty sure we went to the church to get stuff ready for mothers day but don’t quote me on that.
On Saturday we woke up and studied.  We realized that our presents for the mothers weren’t ready so we made them cookies as fast as possible.  Ma, thanks for training me for years cause I made those bad boys in 10 minutes flat.  They turned out super good so I was stoked and then we printed out pictures of the 2 of us that said Feliz dia de Madre on them and gave them to a select few of the mothers in our ward.  We went to Maxi and Macarenas and taught them a lesson about why we are here on the earth.  After that we had lunch and then we went on to Santiago the guy with mental challenges.  After that it was 6 and there was nothing for us to do.  Everybody was gone. And the people that were there didn’t have time.  So we went to the bishop’s house and had a meeting with him.  And things went well.  I haven’t seen his wife for over a month and a half because she just had a baby but when we were talking I could understand a good chunk so I was super stoked and she even commented on how much more I can understand, woo!  
Sunday was Mother’s Day here in Argentina.  We went and did the usual badness in church and then during the 3rd section we went and helped prepare 25 pizzas for the mothers and the families.  We ran out of supplies so we had to go lean but it turned out well and people didn’t eat all of the pizzas so we ended up with 5 pizzas.  After that my companion didn’t want to go out because he was worried that there would be churros in the street because on holidays people get all drunk and riled up. So he wanted to go back to the pension and study but it was 4 so I told him I had some addresses and let’s go knocking.  So we went out and we met a bunch of the people and saw a bunch of the drunken people hanging out. My companion hates doing this but I love it so I had a good day.  When we were trying to contact there are super super stong Catholics and they always say no no no and are pretty crazy about the whole thing.  Anyways we were trying to get directions to a house and she just kept interrupting me.  As she was walking away into the sunset on the dusty road she said "Chau Papi" to me.  Haha I don’t know why I think that this is so funny.  I just never thought that I would see a 90 year old call me Papi.  It is making me chuckle right now as I sit here writing this email.
I found out this week that Argentina has a day for everything.  They love just taking the day off and making it impossible to do anything.  For example, I found out this week that they have a day for your dog and cat.  This isn’t the same day. This is 2 different holidays.  Haha crazy Argentines.  
Some good news for this week is that we got bikes again!  I’m stoked because it is a bit more exercise for us but sometimes it is so hot and I feel like the witch in the wizard of oz but instead of water it is boiling lava on my skin.  
Speaking of bikes this week when we were stopping at an investigators house I was trying to get off my bike, but the ground here is dirt and not even.  There was a huge chunk of dirt just completely missing, and when I say a huge chunk I mean a foot wide and a foot deep just completely gone, and next to this missing chunk of ground is a cactus like plant. I somehow planted my foot perfectly in this hole and fell straight into the cacti plant.  I got some pretty good battle scars.  But who cares?  Chicks dig scars, right?  They will just have to wait another two years to see them...

Anyways this is all of me for this week.  I love you guys and I hope everything is going well.
Love,

Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment