Monday, November 18, 2013

Biking with the Soup


11/4/13

Hi there everybody! 
Well Last Monday was pretty not fun.  My comp didn’t have any money and so we didn’t go to the Zone activity.  Boo... and then after lunch I rode down a little hill and lost my favorite pen that I have been using since the beginning of my mission. Boo... and then after that we went to the Internet cafe and I forgot my flash drive there.  Boo.. And then we went and taught a lesson and I had been writing in English all day so all of the Spanish that I had was completely gone.  Haha it was so dang embarrassing...  I was feelin it early into the lesson.  The girl told us she wants to change her life so I was like "man invite her to baptism right here” so I went for it.  And I asked her the question.  And then she sat there for a minute or two just thinking.  The whole time we were making eye contact.  Me sitting there 4 feet away just staring at her, waiting for her response.  Then she broke the silence by saying, "Was that a question?"... Yes... yes it was... I stumbled for words and couldn’t find any.  It kinda felt like I had just woke up and was kind of still dreaming and I was trying to figure out what the heck was going on.  All I ended up saying was uhh...el...la....verdad....mi companero puede explicar....  and then I just sat in on the lesson feeling like the kid wearing the dunce cap in front of his class.
The next day was Tuesday.  Every Tuesday we have reunion of the District which is 5 or 6 areas that get together and talk about how we can improve and whatnot.  We meet in a place called Alejandro Korn which by bus is a good 15-20 minutes away.  We went to the reunion biking the whole way and it took us about 35 minutes from our Pension but it was way sweet.  We are all learning how to jump and whatnot on our bikes so we were all trying to the whole way and it was super fun.  After the reunion we went back to Parque Americana and taught 2 or 3 lessons.  On our way back we passed the hill where I lost my pen so I figured I might as well try, if I don’t look now I’m gonna regret it.  So I checked, in vain or so I thought. I was looking everywhere but trying not to slow my comp down because he isn’t the most patient person in the whole world, and I saw something glint in the sunlight.  I booked over to it and it was my pen!!!  Haha I was so stoked to find it.  I was grinning like an idiot the whole way to our Pension.  I was feelin it so I asked my comp if we could try and look for my pen drive.  He told me very reluctantly "Ok...” So we went and I looked for it and it wasn’t there so I was bummed about that, but as I was leaving I asked the Grandma who was working there and she told me that a girl turned it in!  Haha thank the man up top for honest people.  Anyways I was super stoked about the whole day.  Some good lessons, a good bike ride, and I found my stuff.
The next day we taught our lessons in Parque again and then we made our way back to Fernanda’s house. On the way home my comp and I were disagreeing about something and he pulled out a low blow about my Spanish so I was a bit ticked but it was a bit true so not too ticked, just a little.  Anyways we were riding our bikes I jumped a curb and my companion tried to hop the curb in front of me but he jumped too early and not high enough, and I saw it with my own two eyes, like it was a movie in slowmo, he crashed into the curb and went head over heels on the bike and landed sitting on his butt.   They have a saying here "bajar la caña" which translates to "drop the cane" which means to put somebody in their place.  I know that it’s messed up and I’m supposed to be trying to help him with everything but I couldn’t help but laugh. 
On Friday I woke up and thought, "there be a storm brewin..." It was dark black clouds as far as the eye could see.   it started to rain.  We finished our weekly planning at 12 and it was raining harder.  We had lunch with the Family Avalos but it was one of the Hermana’s birthdays and she washes our clothes every week and folds them too so we went and bought them some plants and a pie.  We went to the store and within 5 minutes of being outside I was soaked. My socks were sloshing every step. When we got there, water was coming through the roof so they weren’t in the highest of spirits. But we ate anyways, in silence. After our lunch it started to rain harder so we decided to go back to the Pension and wait for it to calm down a bit because there were streets with water up to my shins.
On Saturday, we had a recent convert Alex come teach with us the whole day.  He is 18 and super awesome.  I feel like I’m hanging out with a homie when he comes teaching with us.  On Sunday it was Ward Conference so we had been telling people to bring friends and we were working hard to get all the menos activos and investigators as was possible and luckily it was a sunny day so we had over 100 people show up.  
The next day I woke up, jump roped for 30 minutes and then I made some veggie soup for lunch at the church.  We still had a butt load and I didn’t want to waste it but I didn’t have anything to bring it home in so I biked for 15 minutes with a huge pot full of soup in one hand and steering with the other.  My arm was dang tired 5 minutes into the ride but I was determined.  Close to the house a girl walked in front of me and I didn’t have time to stop so I just turned right.  It was a bad decision because there was a bus stop to the right so I ended up just crashing into it and looking like an idiot, but I didn’t spill any soup so there’s a plus, right?  
Have a good week.

I love you all, Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment